Redevelopment Plan for the Toranomon-Azabudai District
On January 10th, ‘Tokyo metropolitan urban revitalization subcommittee’ of the central government’s National Strategic Special Zone Council for the Greater Tokyo Area held released an overview of the large scale redevelopment plan in the Toranomon-Azabudai District, which is projected and carried out by Mori Building Co., Ltd. The redevelopment will cover the area of about 8.1hectare constructing 7 buildings with a total floor area of about 820,000 square meters including a 300m tall building.
Image from Mori Building
The planned place covers the areas of 5 chome Toranomon, 1 chome Azabudai, and 3 chome Roppongi, dividing respectively into 3 town blocks, which are the area facing Gaien-higashi Dori Street as A Block, the area facing Radial Road 1 as B Block, and the area facing Sakurada Dori Street as C Block. The scale and the summary of each block with a core planned building are as follows:
Image from Mori Building
● A Town Block: The 330m tall building with 65 floors above ground and 4 floors underground will be constructed having a total floor space of approximately 449,000 square meters. It will have office spaces in middle and lower floors, residence spaces in higher floors (56-65th floor), and a foreigner friendly supermarket, international school, multi-language child care facility in lower floors.
● B Town Block: Two residence buildings will be constructed in B-1 Town Block and B-2 Town Block.
● B-1 Town Block: The 270m tall building with 63 floors above ground and 4 floors underground will be constructed having a total floor space of approximately 170,500 square meters. It will have about 160units of a serviced apartment in lower floors (6-12th floor).
● B-2 Town Block: The 240m tall building with 53 floors above ground and 5 floors underground will be constructed having a total floor space of approximately 155,500 square meters. It will have a medical facility in lower floors.
● C Town Block: 4 buildings will be constructed each for shops, residence, office, and temple in 4 Town Blocks of C-1, C-2, C-3, and C-4 Block (3 buildings with 3 floors and 1 building with 8 floors).
Through this redevelopment plan, various enhancement works in the planned area will be realized simultaneously such as; construction of new roads running south-north and east-west for connecting the neighboring major streets; construction of new pedestrian road network connecting Metro Kamiyacho Station and Roppongi-itchome Station; construction of a green space and a large-scale open space utilizing the landscape of the planned area; improvement of safety by eliminating crowded areas of wooden buildings. In addition, for improvement of a favorable living environment for foreigners the various facilities will be constructed such as an international education facility, a facility for supporting foreigners’ life and socialization, and about 1300units in total of residence and lodging facilities to meet various needs.
The redevelopment work is planned to start in 2018 and to complete in 2022. After the completion of the planed works, reinforcement of the capability for responding to disasters and improvement of environmental performance in the planned area will be also realized, and the new landscape and cityscape which harmonizes with the neighborhood will be produced.
Redevelopment Plans in Tokyo >> /news/redevelopment-plans-tokyo/