Guide to Buying Property in Japan
The Real Estate Purchasing Process in Japan
Buying a home is a big deal and should not be taken lightly. Various aspects of real estate transactions in Japan are protected by law. As many of these rules and regulations are difficult to understand, we have made this detailed guide about common procedures taken when acquiring real estate in Japan. This includes how to read property information, knowledge of legal procedures, important matters that should be taken into consideration, and the acquisition of rights.
Step 1 Understanding Japanese Real Estate
Real Estate Transactions and Regulatory Laws
The laws concerning property and real estate transactions in Japan are well developed. There are many rules and regulations created in order to prevent problems. Due to real estate being an expensive commodity, it is required by law to carefully check the property’s status, relationship of rights, and various legal regulations to insure a safe business transaction. It is also required that a person with the qualification of “Real Estate Transaction Specialist” is present during the contracting procedures to explain the necessary details.
For investment properties, we provide proposals for attractive listing conditions and rent prices that suit the current market to make your property competitive and profitable.
Non-Japanese buying real estate
In Japan, there are no restrictions in regards to real estate ownership of both land and building. Foreigners, regardless of their visa status, may purchase property in Japan.
- Can a foreigner purchase property in Japan?
- Find out the rules for a non-resident in Japan to buy and own real estate in Japan.
Costs Incurred in Purchasing Real Estate and Home Loans
Other costs involved–aside from the purchase price of the property–are the agent fee, ownership registration fee, taxes, and some miscellaneous expenses.
- Property Buying Costs & Taxes
- Necessary costs and taxes required when purchasing property in Japan including explanations and examples.
Want to obtain financing from a local bank or financing company?
- Loans for Buying Property in Japan
- Housing Loans for foreigners buying property in Japan.
Step 2 The Property Search
We provide detailed explanations of residential areas in Central Tokyo with maps and pictures for each area.
- Where to live in Tokyo
- Learn more about Tokyo's most sought-after residential areas in our comprehensive guide.
- Redevelopment plans in Tokyo
- Major redevelopment plans in Tokyo currently in progress or planned for completion before and after 2020 Olympics
We have extensive property information in English for New/Used Apartments, Condominiums, Investment Properties with tenants, and Buildings for sale in Central Tokyo and its suburbs.
- Buying Properties - Properties for Sale in Tokyo
- Thousands of Property Listings - Search Tokyo real estate at the PLAZA HOMES website.
Definitions of Floor-Area Ratio (FAR) and Building Coverage Ratio (BCR), and other vocabulary:
- Floor-Area Ratio (FAR) and Building Coverage Ratio (BCR)
- Explanation of Japanese Floor-Area Ratio (FAR) and Building Coverage Ratio (BCR).
- Land Use Zones under the City Planning Law in Japan
- An explanation of the different Land Use Zones regulated under the City Planning
- Law in Japan and how this affects properties in the area.