Japan Rent Relief Grants - Housing Security Benefits

Poste date: Friday, October 27, 2023

The Japanese Government provides Rent Relief Grants - Housing Security Benefits (住居確保給付金 - Jûkyo Kakuho Kyûfukin) for a certain period of time for people who have trouble with paying rent due to the loss of job, closing of a business, or falling into a situation equivalent to these. This system's purpose is to help people who may lose their house.

Who Can Receive the Rent Relief Grants?

The followings are the general requirements however, please consult the local office for the exact details.

1. If the main financially supporting person of a family: 

(i) has lost their job or has gone out of business for less than 2 years 

(ii) has not been able to earn a salary or other income and the income has been reduced to the same extent as if they has been unemployed or has gone out of business, without personal responsibility or reasons.


2. The total household income for the most recent month does not exceed the sum of 1/12 of the amount exempt from municipal inhabitant tax per capita (hereinafter referred to as the 'standard amount') and the rent (but with an upper limit).

  • The standard household income amount for Tokyo
  • - Single household: 138,000 yen
  • - 2 people household: 194,000 yen
  • - 3 people household: 241,000 yen


3. The current total savings of the household does not exceed the amount specified by the respective municipality (6 months of the standard amount. However, the amount must not exceed 1,000,000 yen).

The standard amount of deposits and savings per household for Tokyo

  • - Single household: 504,000 yen
  • - 2 people household: 780,000 yen
  • - 3 people household: 1 million yen


4. As a job search requirement:.

In case (1) (i) above: Apply for a job at Hello Work and carry out job search activities sincerely and diligently.

In specific terms:
・Apply for a job at Hello Work and receive job consultation (once a month)
・Apply for a job at a company and have an interview (once a month)

In case (1) (ii) above: Sincerely and diligently carry out job search activities.

In specific terms:
・Activities in line with the support plan for rebuilding livelihoods (improving household finances, job training, etc.)

How Much are the Grants?

The grant amount will be calculated according to the household income. The following amount is the upper limit however, please note that some cities pay slightly more than the amount below, for example Minato-ku pays between 69,800 yen to 86,000 yen. You can find more details on Minato-ku Website (Japanese only).

  • - Single person household: 53,700 yen
  • - 2 person household: 64,000 yen
  • - 3-5 person household: 69,800 yen

How will the Grants be Paid?

The amount will be directly paid to the landlord of the house where the applicable person resides.

For How Long will the Grants be Paid?

It will be paid for 3 months and if certain requirements are met, every 3 months up to 9 months will be applied.

More Grant Information in Japan

On the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare page (Japanese only), you can find all the subsidies available from the Japanese Government.

  • Japan National Census 2020

    Once every 5 years, the Japanese government conducts a nationwide Census which is to be the most important statistical survey. This year (2020) is the Census year and the deadline of its submission is on October 7th. Here's what you need to know about filling out the Census questionnaire.
  • The My Number System in Japan and how it affects non-Japanese

    A card containing a 12-digit Social Security and Tax Number will be issued throughout Japan as part of the My Number system. Simply put, the My Number card is the Japanese version of the American social security number. In our guide, we talk about the system and how foreign residents will be affected.
  • A Guide to Getting Married in Japan

    Getting married in Japan is an important decision. Although foreign citizens need to submit some additional documentation, the whole process is rather straightforward. Our guide will go over the basic requirements as well as the necessary documents for marriage registration in Japan.
  • How to register or change your address in Japan

    When first moving to Japan or when moving within Japan you will need to register your new address with your local municipal office. If you're too busy to make the trip, some municipal offices will even let a attorney register for you on your behalf. Here is what you will need to know about how to register or change your address in Japan.
  • How to Start a Business in Japan

    Starting a business in Japan may seem a bit overwhelming at first but it’s not too difficult if you know what to do. To establish a new business within Japan you’ll need to establish a company and obtain the necessary visa for it. Here’s what you need to do to get a visa and how to register your corporation in Japan along with the type of business structures commonly used in Japan.
  • Japan’s Residency Management System for Foreign Nationals

    If you're moving to Japan, one thing you definitely need to be aware of is what's called the "Residency Management System". This is what the Immigration Bureau of Japan calls their system for tracking the residency of foreigners in Japan.