Japan Rent Relief Grants - Housing Security Benefits
The Japanese Government provides Rent Relief Grants - Housing Security Benefits (住居確保給付金 - Jûkyo Kakuho Kyûfukin) for a certain period of time for people who have trouble with paying rent due to the loss of job, closing of a business, or falling into a situation equivalent to these. This system's purpose is to help people who may lose their house.
Who Can Receive the Rent Relief Grants?
The followings are the general requirements however, please consult the local office for the exact details.
1. If the main financially supporting person of a family:
(i) has lost their job or has gone out of business for less than 2 years
(ii) has not been able to earn a salary or other income and the income has been reduced to the same extent as if they has been unemployed or has gone out of business, without personal responsibility or reasons.
2. The total household income for the most recent month does not exceed the sum of 1/12 of the amount exempt from municipal inhabitant tax per capita (hereinafter referred to as the 'standard amount') and the rent (but with an upper limit).
- The standard household income amount for Tokyo
- - Single household: 138,000 yen
- - 2 people household: 194,000 yen
- - 3 people household: 241,000 yen
3. The current total savings of the household does not exceed the amount specified by the respective municipality (6 months of the standard amount. However, the amount must not exceed 1,000,000 yen).
The standard amount of deposits and savings per household for Tokyo
- - Single household: 504,000 yen
- - 2 people household: 780,000 yen
- - 3 people household: 1 million yen
4. As a job search requirement:.
In case (1) (i) above: Apply for a job at Hello Work and carry out job search activities sincerely and diligently.
In specific terms:
・Apply for a job at Hello Work and receive job consultation (once a month)
・Apply for a job at a company and have an interview (once a month)
In case (1) (ii) above: Sincerely and diligently carry out job search activities.
In specific terms:
・Activities in line with the support plan for rebuilding livelihoods (improving household finances, job training, etc.)
How Much are the Grants?
The grant amount will be calculated according to the household income. The following amount is the upper limit however, please note that some cities pay slightly more than the amount below, for example Minato-ku pays between 69,800 yen to 86,000 yen. You can find more details on Minato-ku Website (Japanese only).
- - Single person household: 53,700 yen
- - 2 person household: 64,000 yen
- - 3-5 person household: 69,800 yen
How will the Grants be Paid?
The amount will be directly paid to the landlord of the house where the applicable person resides.
For How Long will the Grants be Paid?
It will be paid for 3 months and if certain requirements are met, every 3 months up to 9 months will be applied.
More Grant Information in Japan
On the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare page (Japanese only), you can find all the subsidies available from the Japanese Government.