Covid-19: The Current Situation in Japan and Countermeasures

Poste date: Monday, May 8, 2023

Japan has downgraded COVID-19 to the same level as seasonal influenza and abolished coronavirus control measures with effect from 8 May.

As a result, the Japanese government will no longer uniformly require temperature checks when entering shops, hand sanitation at entrances, acrylic boards, plastic sheets and other partitions, and there are no longer any restrictions on concerts and other events.

With regard to entry from abroad, it is also not necessary to present vaccination certificates or negative certificates before leaving the country.


Tokyo Metropolitan Government Coronavirus Vaccine Side Effects Hotline

If you feel physically unwell after being vaccinated, please consult the medical institution or your regular family doctor where you received vaccinations, or call the Center mentioned below. If you live in another region, please contact your regional vaccine adverse reaction helpline.

Tel: 03-6258-5802

Hours: On a 24-hour basis (including Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays)

Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean Vietnamese, Tagalog, Nepali, Burmese (Myanmarese), Thai, French, Spanish, and Portuguese

  • How to register or change your address in Japan

    When first moving to Japan or when moving within Japan you will need to register your new address with your local municipal office. If you're too busy to make the trip, some municipal offices will even let a attorney register for you on your behalf. Here is what you will need to know about how to register or change your address in Japan.
  • Japan's National Pension System

    The Japan national pension system can be confusing for expat workers living in Japan, but we will help you understand what’s required, what you’ll pay, and how to collect.
  • Japan National Census 2020

    Once every 5 years, the Japanese government conducts a nationwide Census which is to be the most important statistical survey. This year (2020) is the Census year and the deadline of its submission is on October 7th. Here's what you need to know about filling out the Census questionnaire.
  • Japan Rent Relief Grants - Housing Security Benefits

    The Japanese Government provides Rent Relief Grants - Housing Security Benefits (住居確保給付金 - Jûkyo Kakuho Kyûfukin) for a certain period of time for people who have trouble with paying rent due to the loss of job, closing of a business, or falling into a situation equivalent to these. This system's purpose is to help people who have lost or lose their house.
  • The My Number System in Japan and how it affects non-Japanese

    A card containing a 12-digit Social Security and Tax Number will be issued throughout Japan as part of the My Number system. Simply put, the My Number card is the Japanese version of the American social security number. In our guide, we talk about the system and how foreign residents will be affected.
  • Japan’s Residency Management System for Foreign Nationals

    If you're moving to Japan, one thing you definitely need to be aware of is what's called the "Residency Management System". This is what the Immigration Bureau of Japan calls their system for tracking the residency of foreigners in Japan.