Taxes in Japan: Filing Japanese Income Tax in Tokyo

Poste date: Thursday, July 28, 2022

For many foreign residents living in Japan it’s possible that the confusion and hours or research spent in filing Japanese taxes are negligible since their companies file on their behalf.

However, if 1) you’re self-employed, 2) your company happens to be based overseas, or 3) your company doesn’t provide tax filing services to employees, then there are a few steps you must take before Japan’s mid-March filing deadline. Let’s take a look.

Who needs to pay taxes in Japan?

If you’ve had some type of income in Japan, chances are you owe the Japanese government. Three categories exist for compulsory tax payers: Residents, Non-Residents, and Temporary Residents.


These are people who have a domicile in Japan through ownership or rental for one (1) year or more. Additionally, if your employment contract expresses a term of a year or more, you may be considered a resident with or without a listed domicile. Residents are also taxed on their income worldwide.


These are people who are not domiciled in Japan. Even if you do not live in Japan, any income earned in the country is subject to taxation. However, if you are domiciled in Japan for five years or less and you are not a Japanese national, you are considered a non-resident. Please be aware of the above. If you have an employment contract that has a long term, you may be subject to taxation. And as below, money brought into Japan will be taxed.

Temporary Residents

These are people who come to Japan and work temporarily outside of Japan while being on a foreign payroll. Income from overseas that is not remitted to Japan is exempt from taxation. However, if income is transferred into Japan for any reason, such as to pay for a bill or goods, or even into a Japanese bank, then that remitted money is considered taxable income.

Which forms are needed to file your taxes?

In recent years, many people have completed their applications online. This is convenient if you have someone who understands Japanese or can assist you in Japanese.

Tax offices also offer advice on tax returns, although this service is only available in Japanese. Check here for the tax office with jurisdiction and make an appointment before going. Some municipal offices also offer consultation services however, as they may not be able to answer about certain types of taxes, it would be best to consult the tax office.

Please also refer to this page from National Tax Agency.

[ Form A ]

Form A is for individuals with taxable income in Japan. For the majority of filers, form A will suffice.

[Note] From January 2023, Declaration Form A will be discontinued and replaced by Declaration Form B.

[ Form B ]

If you have any income from real estate, investments, or business operations, this form must be filled out and attached.

Withholdings Tax Slip :

Around December (or sometimes August), your withholdings tax slip is provided to you by your employer or mailed to the address that you registered with the municipality you are domiciled. If you do not have this slip in your possession, you should make a trip to the city hall in the municipality of your registration.

When to Pay Taxes

If you are required to pay taxes beyond the amount withheld by your employer, Japan’s national income taxes are due in full by the March 15 deadline of the following year.

Prefectural and municipal income taxes may also be required if not withheld by your employer and are to be prepaid quarterly if filing Form B.

Tax Accountants in Tokyo

If you’re unable to do your taxes on your own or with the assistance provided at Belle Salle Shibuya, you may want to consider choosing a reputable English-speaking accounting agency that can help file on your behalf. The following preparation agencies based in Minato and Chiyoda provide preparation services in English.

Capital Tax K.K.

A: 1-2-7 Akasaka K-Tower 4F, Moto Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo
T: 03-6890-3036

Kaori Fuchi Tax and Consulting

A: 6-23-4 Kuwano Building 2F, Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

Plus One Service Co.,Ltd. Takigawa Certified Tax Accountant Office

A: 4-14-14-201 Nishiazabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo
T: 03-3486-7766

Tax Agent Service

If you are a non resident and have rental income from the properties you own in the country, you need to appoint a tax agent that can file income tax, pay/get a refund on withheld income tax, and pay fixed property tax on behalf of you. The following company provides full range of tax agent services in English.


A: 1-11-8, Minami-Otsuka, Toshima-ku, Tokyo
T: 050-3558-5146

Paying Taxes in Your Home Country

While this guide has been created to provide a brief overview of Japan’s income tax process, it is important to remember that if you hold citizenship or permanent resident status in another country you may be responsible for filing there as well. Please consult with your respective country’s internal revenue office for more information.

We hope this article has been helpful in guiding you to some resource for preparing and filing your Japanese taxes. And since tax season isn’t the only time you’re required to pay up, we’ve compiled a list of payment methods for paying bills in Japan.

>> Accounting in Tokyo: Bilingual Accounting & Consulting Firms

  • The 2022 Japanese Calendar in English

    Track the days of the year with PLAZA HOMES's free Printable 2022 Japanese Calendar in English. This 2022 Japanese calendar shows every Japanese national holiday in English. We have carefully chosen some of the most beautiful scenes Japan as to offer for each calendar month that accurately represents the weather and atmosphere of each month.
  • Japanese vs. Western Clothing Sizes — Finding the Right Fit

    Buying clothes in Japan? Use this handy guide to easily compare Japanese and Western sizes for women's, men's, and children's apparel.
  • Furniture for Expats in Japan – bringing, leasing or buying

    Here's what you need to know about furnishing your apartment or house in Japan. There are a few options when it comes to getting furniture in Japan, you can bring it from your home country, rent it, or buy it. This short guide aims to help you decide which is the best option for you.
  • Money in Japan: Banknotes and Coins

    Want to know more about Japanese currency? Curious about what the images mean? Here is an easy to follow guide explaining Japanese banknotes and coins along with where you can and can't use them during your daily life in Japan.
  • Japanese National Holiday Calendar

    Japan has quite a few National Holidays throughout the year. Finding an English calendar with Japan's National Holidays on it can be a bit of a challenge. We here at PLAZA HOMES have prepared and easy to read list of all the major Japanese Holidays along with some info about each holiday.
  • Japanese Consumption Tax (VAT)

    In Japan, the current consumption tax was raised to 10% starting October 2019. In this article you can learn about the consumption tax in Japan, the history, Tax-Free shopping and Non-Taxable Transactions.